Friday, June 10, 2011

One Day At A Time

Anna Belle Barlow ~ My Maternal Grandmother (Mamaw)

I always remember her singing in a high quavery soprano. She seemed to always be singing or humming a hymn while she worked or walked or quilted. The only time she was quiet was when she was reading a book or dozed off while reading.
The song I remember the most vividly was her "morning song". Her brother owned a little country store/ gas station down the road around the corner from Papaw and Mamaw's farm. And IF you were lucky enough to wake up REALLY early, before anyone else, she would let you walk with her to her brother's store to get whatever she needed for the day. (Butter, loaf of bread,...) and as you walked along with the sun rising and dew glistening on the fields all around and the blacktop still dark black and cool from the night, she would start humming a few bars and then she would sing a word or two kind of quiet till we got past the house so she wouldn't wake anyone up and then she would start singing with all of her heart to God and His nature!
My heart sang along with her! A few times I joined in a bit. But mostly I loved to just hear her beautiful voice lifted in praise to her Savior in the early morning as we walked along hand in hand......

ONE DAY AT A TIME, SWEET JESUS I'm only human, I'm just a woman. Help me believe in what I could be And all that I am. Show me the stairway, I have to climb. Lord for my sake, teach me to take One day at a time. Chorus: One day at a time sweet Jesus That's all I'm asking from you. Just give me the strength To do everyday what I have to do. Yesterday's gone sweet Jesus And tomorrow may never be mine. Lord help me today, show me the way One day at a time. Do you remember, when you walked among men? Well Jesus you know if you're looking below It's worse now, than then. Cheating and stealing, violence and crime So for my sake, teach me to take One day at a time. (Chorus)
(Marijohn Wilkins / Kris Kristofferson)

No comments:

Post a Comment